Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Going No Poo - 4 Months



So I've been a bit behind on my blog posts again. I'm not going to beat myself up about it though, because I managed to stay on top of my schoolwork, declutter a ton of stuff, and even start a new hobby (brewing kombucha)!


No Poo Haircut


I finally got another haircut, making it my second one since going no poo. I had the same stylist, and she was still super supportive of my crunchy antics. I was definitely due for one though. You can see in the picture above, it was getting a bit wild.


Experiment, Experiment, Experiment!

One thing I've learned throughout this journey is to experiment! I seriously cannot say it enough. After being acid only (AO) for the last 3 months, I decided to switch it up a bit. I felt like my hair was getting weighed down again (similar to what I was experiencing before switching from honey to AO). I swear my hair just does not want to settle into a routine.

I knew I wanted to try some sort of sebum removing wash, because I suspected my hair was heavy due to buildup (most likely from sebum). It also needed to be something I had on hand, because I refuse to order something special unless I absolutely must. It came down to baking soda and egg. Egg seemed like the gentler and easier option, so I went with that.


Egg Wash


For my egg wash, I simply beat a whole egg with an 1/8 teaspoon of coconut oil. I applied it in the shower, left it on for the rest of my shower routine (about 5 minutes), rinsed with cold water (hot water will cook the egg, and it will be hard to get out), and finally a diluted apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse. The egg wash is the most sebum removing wash I've done since switching from commercial shampoo, so in hindsight a teaspoon of coconut oil probably would've been better. I only left the egg in for five minutes to avoid any smell issues; I also rinsed with ACV for the same reason.

You can see the difference the egg wash made in the picture above. Look at that lift and body! I sort of wish I'd done the egg wash before my haircut, but oh well. In my first ever post about giving up shampoo, Going No Poo - Week 1, I mentioned egg washes as one alternative to shampoo. While egg is great at cleansing and removing sebum, it can lead to protein overload if used more than once a month (the white or the yolk can be used weekly though). I'll probably try doing my egg wash bimonthly and see if I need to increase frequency from there. If I can push it even farther, that's even better!


What's Next?

Since I've been brewing my own kombucha, I plan on trying a kombucha rinse soon! I'll write about it next month and let y'all know how it worked.





To read about the rest of my journey, click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment